Wednesday, March 12, 2008

A lunchtime conversation that would SHOCK you!

Hey Mom, here's what I learned at the lunch table today: eating lice is good for you!

No really! That's what they told me. You should eat lice, preferabbly in soup, to cure Hepatitis. This is because lice will clean your liver. You can even go down to the bazaar and purchase some. The nice vendor will probably call over her small child and make sure to get you some fresh ones!

No, I'm not kidding! The conversation started when an orphanage graduate who has been interning with us said that when she was little she would sell her lice to the other girls so she could buy sneakers. I didn't believe her until out came the confirmations from all my Kazakh coworkers! Now, none of them said they would be buying lice, but they all agreed it was for real! Even when Beth and I pointed out that lice would die in stomach acids before reaching the liver, it didn't help. Moreover, when my coworker (typical guy) saw the reactions on my face to this information, the stories got better and better! Yup, you learn something new every day!

No comments: