Thursday, March 20, 2008

Remont & another KZ lesson

One side project I had been asked to do was a redecoration of the Kids Connection office. It’s the building basement with one tiny window and dim lighting. So with Ken and Sara’s gone to Thailand and the advent of Saboatnik (national spring cleaning) and Naurez (the Kazakh new year), I started my redesign with some bright yellow paint! I was called crazy for using a gloss inside and had to fight the KZ guys at the office to let me do it, but now the staff have agreed it was a good idea. Everyone pitched in to help whether it was with rigging a paint mix (you buy white and color it yourself) or putting it on the wall!

Earlier this week I spent a few hours searching through the bazaar for some fabric till I realized I was going to have to choose between pastel cartoon characters, neon colored brights, or fabric with shiny golds. Oy! Then yesterday we spend a few more hours trying to find some desk lamps. My choices were industrial or cheesy. Although I thought of buying small funny animal lamps for a joke, at $30-$40 each, it wasn’t worth it! I’ve decided to sleep on my choices...

...Since I'm posting several days later, note that I've gone with shiny gold fabric! As for lamps, we found a brighter ceiling option only to find out that after 2 years of being told no, the current ceiling lamps could indeed handle a brighter wattage than 30 watts! Funny how you go through all that work to find out in the end it wasn't necessary. Welcome to Kazakhstan!

No comments: