Saturday, April 12, 2008

Kaida Ember?

Kazakh lessons are going zhaksa (good). I’ve learned lots of kitchen and food words from home like schkinty kask (tiny spoon for tea) or bishparmack (five fingers which is the name of a traditional KZ dish that is supposed to be eaten with your five fingers). From the children I’ve learned otramiz (sit down) and atom koom (name?). I have a great teacher who is strict, but excellent. I did get overwhelmed with words at one point, so I slowed down. Sadly my teacher came down with pneumonia, but the staff here at the office picked up teaching where she left off. Now I’m back in class, and finally, I can ask questions! For so long I could only talk about myself, but I’m branching out now which makes for better conversation. I just need more practice! With the majority of the staff being English speaking, it’s too easy to rely on what I do know. Thankfully my host family only knows a tiny bit of English, though they are learning more each day as I learn Kazakh. Some weeks I am eager to learn and practice, but other weeks I just want a break! Hopefully it will even out and I’ll be able to make a truly consistent effort at using what I know.

No comments: