Saturday, July 5, 2008

Apples are from Kazakhstan…so are tulips (sort of!)

And just to be clear, I stole that from a book! (In Search of Kazakhstan: The Land that Disappeared) No plagiarism here. Actually this book is going on my top recommendations (see to the right). I’ve not gotten even two chapters in but am already captured…perhaps I should finish it before I recommend it, but I think it’s more interesting to put it out there and then disclaim like crazy later if it turns out to be dodgy. Just don’t let the kids read it first, just in case!

Seriously though, the fact is that quite a bit of the scientific community believes that Kazakhstan is the birthplace of the apple. They began in the mountains and were exported. The sad thing is that now it’s fashionable to eat imported apples, allowing the apples growing naturally to fall by the wayside…in some places! I’m on the hunt for these wild apple groves in the mountains come September.

Tulips also grow wild here and a great majority of the varieties that grow world wide. They are also believed to have grown originally in Kazakhstan before exportation. Hmmm….the things you never knew!

No comments: