Saturday, August 30, 2008

Friend’s Needed, Apply Within

I think I’ve mentioned this before, but one thing my friendships have shown to me is the real need for authentic, trusting friendships here. Many of these young women are confiding in me things they say they can’t talk to family about and don’t have friends they can trust. In the US counseling is so common and we (sometimes too openly) can admit to family and personal problems. In contrast, Kazakh society functions on a more private level where it is still very shameful to admit personal struggle. To admit to even a close friend any kind of hurt, abuse, or fear (from present, past, or future) is to incur their pity, the worst possible thing. And it may mean that you have released details that may be passed on to their family and friends. At one point I was cautioned that to tell a person something means its public information to share! I was quickly reassured by my close Kazakh friends it’s not so for them!

I simply think the counseling field is wide open and so needed here. Kazakhstan has had a painful history like we Americans could never understand. I can only imagine how many people hunger for someone to talk to, to help sort through the challenges they have faced in the past and present. In the meantime, I am simply thankful for the many, many women who have invested into my life, listening and advising. And I am thankful and humbled to have the chance to be that person for my friends here.

No comments: