Tuesday, February 3, 2009

I can cook!

Hey, so the past few days have been a reaffirmation that I can cook!!! I really began to doubt myself while in Kazakhstan because I cooked some, but nothing came out quite right. Everything was just so difficult. But I did some shopping this week (And nearly had a heart attack at checkout! I mean MY WORD! Food is so expensive I just about fell over! In fact, my wallet did. It actually leapt out of my handbag and ran towards frozen foods. I chased it down and caught it just in time before it burrowed itself among the meats....and speaking of meats....AGH! Again! So I was torn between the $12 organic, hormone free chicken and the $3 (larger pack) of hormone full chicken. What to do??? Do I want crazy hormones and preservatives, NO! Can I afford the other stuff? Sadly, no...but hopefully if I go back to Kazakhstan I will have many years of chemical free food! So I bought...don't say it, yes, hormone full CHEAP chicken. *sigh* Defeat.)

....ANYWAY...so I cooked. I made a beautiful sweet potatoe-jalepeno soup yesterday that Trish taught me years ago. My host Debbie loved it, but her sons turned up their noses. More for me...ahahahaha. Then tonight I cooked couscous with capers, creamed spinach with garlic and feta, and spicy rosemary-pepper chicken in a thick tomatoe base. Tasty!!!! I can cook!!! (And no recipes so it's the best ever!!! Recipes are just like someone telling you what to do which is great if you don't have a clue, but so affirming when you throw things in a pot...and they turn out okay!) And...bonus, Debbie's son actually liked it! I know a lot of people would just be polite but when you've got a picky guy cleaning his plate...SUCCESS!!

No comments: