Friday, February 1, 2008

Horse Meat, Toast, and Things that Last

This weekend it was PARTY CENTRAL at my host home! So much so that I’m having a hard time keeping my eyes open…and it’s Tuesday! We started off with a birthday party for my host mom, Sholpan, and then another party the next night, just because!

And OY…the parties they have here! It’s all family and friends who are more like family, eating that goes on and on and on, singing and dancing, talking and more talking, enough tea to swim in and just when you think it’s wrapping up, it starts all over again! But as sleepy as I am this week from my late nights, I wouldn’t change my time with these families for the world.

Things that last: The parties always seem to end in song. The mamas, Sholpan, Rosa, Almash, and Mary have been friends for 25 years now. Their sons share names and their daughters are more like sisters. It’s a beautiful thing, friendships like that. They tell the funniest stories, still cry over the passing of beloved parents, sing old songs they know all the words too, lecture children (each others) over what they should do with the rest of their lives, and have made plans to find me a husband. J And the best part is that their daughters are following in their footsteps. Elmira plays the dombra and sings with a gorgeous voice, just like her mother, Sholpan. Sowel tells stories with expression and suspense just like her mother, Almash. And Rosa’s daughter, well, she is the quiet one with the well placed words, balancing the other two, just like her mama.

Toasts: I’ve also learned the tradition of KZ “toasting.” In the US we toast at weddings and formal dinners. In KZ anytime you have a “dasdarhan” or gathering of friends and family for a meal, each person is expected to make a toast to the host, the guest, to everything and anything. I have now decided that I like this tradition…a lot. How often do we in the US take time to tell our friends and family how much we appreciate them or to speak hope into one another’s lives? I’m looking forward to bringing this tradition home with me!

Horse meat: Monday night I had horsemeat. It wasn’t my first time, nor will it be my last. Tip to self though, don’t let anyone else serve you because you’ll end up with a lot of meat to go through!

3 comments:

Vangie said...

I see they love "Noribong." Ha ha - how many top 40's do you know from the 50's-80's?

Vangie

Anonymous said...

oh great pictures of the dastarhan! and a great description of the never-ending-party!
is that a very large bottle of vodka that i see in the picture with the man?

believe it or not, i miss the horse meat. but not all the attempted-match-making. good luck with that.

Rosiere said...

You gave such a wonderful description of what's going on there. I'm enjoying the blog as well as hearing what the Father is doing. Miss ya girl enjoy your time there :o)