Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Men's Day (yes, another holiday!)

Men are great! Well, at least for one day almost everyone in Kazakhstan will tell you so! Men’s Day (along with Women’s Day) are international holidays although not celebrated in the US. For the men at the office we had a special surprise at a new little place in town… virtual car racing. Sadly, a few of the night security guys couldn’t make it… so I had to race. Oh, it was suffering to come in second so many times. Not because I beat out so many other people, but only because I didn’t come in first! Then we had a special dinner for them called “bulldog.” Yup, that’s what we call it. But don’t worry, it’s not really dog! It’s a Korean meat dish called something like “buldoggi” but we like the cheap thrill of pretending its bulldog!

At the orphanages we gave watches to all the boys. They were really excited about them. I made a point to ask them later the time and with a huge smile they would check their new watches and let me know! Sunday we took some of the boys to the park for rides and then for their own surprise virtual car racing! I spent most of the afternoon steering the car for the tinniest boy….he just couldn’t get the gas, break, and steering to all go together! I wish I could import Men’s and Women’s Day to the US, it’s such a cool holiday.

No comments: