Monday, May 26, 2008

Economics and the Heart of the Matter 2 (Why Shopkeepers are Mean)

On of the things in Kazakhstan that has really bothered me has been their lack of customer service. I am accustomed to American where “the customer is always right” and “everyone should be greeted with a smile.” Here, you are more often treated as an irritant and unanswered questions by idle clerks make you assume they don’t even want you shopping there. At one particular store here (a large Wal-Martesk creation) I enter planning to spend a large sum usually for work, and find myself not only dismissed, but treated with suspicion while dozens of store employees and store security wander about. They treat me not as if I come to spend, but to steal! I couldn’t understand why, in this society where jobs and income is so precious, people would be so lazy and rude…

Until I read an interesting article… The article explained that in Soviet times, there was never enough. People stood in long lines for little goods and the shopkeepers where often the brunt of their anger over lack. Shopkeepers dealt with theft, harassment, vile accusations, and sometimes even violence. And the Soviet Union fell not so long ago. It happened when I was still in grade school, but in terms of a changed mentality and changed nation, it could have been just yesterday. Understanding their history and knowing that change takes time has helped me to better accept the world of commerce here. Although, I don’t plan on going back to that one shop!

And, as a disclaimer, I should add that plenty of the small shops have the kindest shopkeepers. They are more than happy to help and are especially excited because I am an American and am learning Kazakh!

No comments: