Thursday, November 29, 2007

Thanksgiving and thankfulness...

I cried for joy a bit this morning because when I opened up my email there were two letters (translated via email) from "my" kids in Kazakhstan! Here is a little snippet:

"I waited for your letter very much because I wanted to know how you are. I am fine. I study in Shu; I will be a railway worker. I think I can....I wanted you to return."

"I don’t know why, but the first thing what I want to say to you are: “I love you very much”. I was very happy when you wrote that you would come in Taraz. I will also pray God to help you to come here. If you come I will see you and we can talk about everything."

See, when I first went to KZ 3 years ago, I wanted to work with the cute little kids who would call me "mama" and give me sticky kisses. Instead I was assigned the group of 14 year olds. (Teenagers! Agh! Anything but teenagers!) This one class became so close to my heart. I don't know what motherhood feels like, but now I know how a child can crawl into your heart and take your breath away. Imagine how hard it was to leave.

My 2nd year in Kazakhstan I began to wonder what would happen to these children after they "graduated" from the orphanage. The "technical schools" offer basic labor skills only, the living conditions not so great, and support system nonexistent. Sometimes the kids choose street life, crime, and/or substance abuse because of the hopelessness. In response to this need, Interlink created the YOUTH IMPACT program. This initiative is a series of weekly classes in small groups intended to teach the children life skills for success. I'm so excited to serve in this program next year!

(Quick update. They are purchasing tickets as we speak, but I am still urgently in need of $320/month. See the right to make a donation!)

No comments: