Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Cowboys & Indians

Well friends, a miracle has occurred and I have a new passport and visa...and got them in less than 4 hours! My advice to repeat this process follows:
1. Like whatever sports team the security guard likes at the US embassy. If you can, mention his favorite quarterback's name and claim to be from that state it's like magic. Yesterday, the word "Cowboys" could get you bumped to the front of the line!
2. Don't argue with the passport man, even if his sports team isn't any good! Really. Even if he mocks you and the entire "Redskins" team, just agree with him...or be prepared to get in the back of the line! (No, don't worry, people were not literally moving, but there was a lot of talk about it!) Thankfully I didn't get involved in the football conversation, but let me tell you...it wouldn't hurt to brush up on the most recent game results before you go! Lol.
3. Never ever wear new shoes for a long day of city walking. Even if they are flats and a good brand and seemed comfortable in the store. Never ever! I know this has nothing to do with getting a passport or visa, but it is good advice!
4. Walk in peace. This whole process has never been controlled or carried by me. Yesterday was clear evidence of that. It wasn't what I said or didn't say or how I looked or when I did what I did. It was pure Other working to shine through these circumstances. And shine He did!

That said, here's my shout out to Mildred at the US passport agency who issued a new passport in 3.5 hours even though I didn't have evidence of a visa appointment and should have waited a few days. And here's another shout out to Raooshan at the KZ embassy who gave me a visa in 5 minutes just as the noon hour struck for her lunch break! And yet another shout out to Rekah and Druba for hosting me and to Dipesh and Katherine for offering! You guys are the best! And here's a final shout out to all of you dear people who called and prayed and called and worked so hard on my behalf to make this happen (especially Barb and Marsha!).

No comments: