Friday, January 25, 2008

I am. SPARTAN!

I think I’m adapting to life in the chill rather well. After countless lectures I’ve final bought proper shoes (tall boots lined with fur) and fur lined caps. Actually, to be honest, I’ve enjoyed the novelty of snow and ice. Although the enjoyment may fade with time, the crunch of my shoes in the early morning silence as I walk to the bus stop is a pleasant accompaniment to whatever song I’m currently humming. For now it’s funny to see my hair turn white with ice by the time I reach my bus stop. Yesterday I had to laugh when I realized that the steam rising from my breath had frozen my scarf to my cheek! Later, my response was the same when my coworker Sara had to scrape ice off the INSIDE of her van windows! Supposedly this is the coldest winter most locals can remember. Oh the irony that this sunshine seeking heat loving girl arrives to be greeted by the coldest winter on record. The lows are expected to continue until mid-February. I’ll keep you posted!

My first day on the bus to work, they pushed me off. Seriously! No joke. However they didn’t push me off to be mean, the bus was just too full and people couldn’t get on or off…and guess who was nearest the doors. My host sister, who road with me the first day was helpless as she was bound by arms and legs so mixed it was as if strange beast had taken over the inner compartment of the bus with eyes looking out reproachfully from fur covered heads when any new victim boarded the bus. Despite the looks, the beast did let me back on and I made it to work. Day two though…I was on my own!

Though I’m slightly intimidated by the rude busmen, the crowds, and my inability to see out the ice covered windows, there has been a strange sense of satisfactory victory when I manage to get off at the right stop! The first time I made it on my own I had to literally restrain myself from jumping around with the realization I had beat the beast! I had to settle for striding briskly, head down, singing praises quietly behind my scarf. This way I at least looked like I somewhat fit it!

The top picture is me next to the Interlink office. Then there is Sara scraping ice off the inside of windows. The last picture is of my host home street. My houseis the shorter one on the right.

No comments: