Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Eid (the crazy fun blog)

So my day of Eid began at 11am.
And let me start off explained that my host mom is one of TEN children. With marriages and kids, that's a lot of people!!

So my host brother and I head off to one aunt's house and just before leaving are redirected. We show up to a two room apartment full of 20 people! More keep arriving. We do the official Eid having tea, sweets, nuts, and of course bread.

Then I'm encouraged to relax so I play about an hours worth of Uno with the boys. I've become a favorite among the cousins from 3 to 23 because I show up to family times with fun games!

Soon, Bishbarmak is ready (big flat noodles with fresh sheep!). It's a traditional dish called bis (5) barmak (fingers) because it is eaten with the hands. So we dine...again!

Another hour or so...and we're off another persons house. Friends instead of family and we have yet another tasty meal. I'm pretty much full at this point, but being the American, food is heaped on my plate and I oblige with slow nibbles.

Another hour here and we go back to "home base." Then we're off to another sisters house. I was left alone to "christen" the house with my tea drinking and apple eating. By this time I've switched to fruits and teas hoping I can make it through the day.

We head to another place, but stay outside with increasing numbers of family gathering. Then as the sun sets and evening approaches...we head for a wedding!!!! But that's three more meals and another story!

No comments: