Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Shu bound

November 21st was a wonderful day for me. We headed to the village of Shu were boys who have graduated from Savva orphanage attend technical school. If you remember some of the kids who are most special to me live at this school.

We had a really good day! 4 boys of "my 10" were missing, but the others spent almost the whole day with us. The Youth Impact team did an AIDS seminar and then we did a giant obstacle course with them. The boys had great attitudes for the day and expressed a lot of thanks. And it was great to see that for the most part their eyes were unclouded and didn't show the effects of substance abuse that we saw on our spring visit.

At the end of the day, Youth Impact gave them shampoo and soap and other such items. And I was able to hand out letters, warm gloves, socks, and winter caps to those boys I know well. I also let them know I was leaving Kazakhstan, but hoped to return. They all agreed I should just get a five year contract! I laughed and let them know I would keep writing even when I was away. Since they have no emotional support where they are, I know the letters mean a great deal to them. For me it's a comfort to see them whole and well, starting to work and slowly making their way.

No comments: