Friday, October 17, 2008

Bumpity bumpity THUD THUD SLAM!

That's the sound of me falling....read on!

We were at Savva again the first weekend of October. We switched from a Sunday to Monday trip to a Saturday to Sunday trip. Sunday evening the kids were prepping for school and our evening visits to their rooms made sleeping difficult. So now we had a fun late Saturday night with them and the whole day on Sunday to play games and have our birthday party!


So the falling part, yeah, you probably are interested in that. Saturday night the kids and I
made up a fun game. They kept wanting to run, but if I ran I was supposed to chase after them...and chasing after 10 kids all yelling your name who are WAY faster than you is only so much fun. So instead, I made them chase me....and, well, can you see where this is going? I fell. But it wasn't an ordinary fall...it was an extraordinarily, GLORIOUS, and complete WIPE-OUT! And I reveled in it! Really... I proudly showed my bloody palms all weekend. And when I got home...I showed my host brother. Poor guy is always falling and is covered in wounds and scars (no joke) so my family had a good laugh when I came home and had my own to show!!

There were some really good moments though. One young teen girl who I've grown close with through letters over the months was having a really bad day (at the birthday party no less)! I was able to spend some time comforting her and then got to watch her slowly engage all th
e way to ending the party with a smile. Another kid, a teen boy, is generally a misfit, but after he gave me a hard time I decided to add him to "my group" and began writing letters to him. Well, he didn't want to have anything to do with our time in his group. Later I saw him and we asked if he wanted a letter and picture...he didn't. Well, he didn't till I pretended to be wretchedly offended he didn't want the letter I had written! His frown flipped over into a smile and he hung around long enough to get a letter and to do the sponsor update we needed from him! It's so humbling to know that our love and care for the kids can fill up a sad heart or get a rebel to soften. I can't wait to be back in a couple of weeks!



Here are pix of me and the team!

No comments: