Sunday, October 5, 2008

Kazakh Teacher


I’ve been spoiled lately. My Kazakh teacher is now coming to our office since there are four of us enrolled in classes that occur one after the other. Here is a picture of my teacher (on the left), her assistant Anya, and her grandson. On a recent exam I did really well with grammar which is shocking, but not so well in vocabulary…. Here’s the problem.


Right now I have about 50 words to learn. I truly learn about five a week meaning they become a part of my regular vocabulary. But every week my teacher gives me about 20 new words…can you see the backlog? So generally I pick words that are relevant to me, words like “pick up” “cheap” “remember.” I tend not to memorize words like “ski” “to conquer” as I’m not likely to use those. Yea, guess which ones were on my exam?! I think I’m progressing, slowly but surely, like molasses…or a sloth...or an iceberg...get the drift?

No comments: