Tuesday, October 7, 2008

EARTHQUAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Literally! A fault line juts into the southern corner of Kazakhstan. In fact, some say the earthquakes are a reason (one of the many) the capital was moved from Almaty in the south to Astana in the north. Supposedly I've already felt TWO earthquakes while living here. My host family told me to sit down for one (it was so minor you couldn't feel it standing) but I missed it. The other I woke up in the night and wondered why I felt "shaky" but was ill at the time and thought it was me!

So Sunday night I was laying down not yet asleep and RUMBLE! Earthquake! It felt as if I was lying on top of a old running dryer, the kind that rattles and bumps, but not enough to go anywhere! I looked over to see the water sloshing in my water-bottle on the dresser. The whole thing lasted maybe 8 minutes...just enough for me to go from thinking "COOL! My first earthquake!" to thinking "Ummm...what if it gets worse?!" I realized I had no idea what to do if the earthquake got worse! Till now that is. I've done the smart thing and found some tips (all logical) on earthquake behavior recommended by the Red Cross...

Yet another thing I never thought about in Delaware or Virginia!

No comments: