Saturday, October 18, 2008

From the kitchen...

So I've been shopping (and cooking) lately. Here are some rules for shopping:

1. If you don't know what it is but everyone is eating it, buy it, it's probably good! So all over I see people purchasing and eating these little round things and I've been wondering. I didn't know how to ask and couldn't get a taste, so I finally bought about 2 cups of these...tiny apples. And they taste just like you'd expect. Perfect mini apples! My host brother devoured about 75 in 15 minutes. They're just that good.

2. You may not recognize it...
Here are mushrooms. Fresh picked. Yum! The Turkish ladies who sell these at the bazaar know we Americans are suckers for mushrooms. They also never fail to point out how fat all Americans are! Anyone for smiling insults with your shopping? Can
you imagine the fresh produce sales-girl saying that to you in the US.
3. Round=tasty. Bread....... (said with a Homer Simpson type donut moan).

4. The more color, the better. Veggies!!! Seriously...not a lick of meat and about 17 kilos of flavor!

5. Prices are negotiable! Here's my shopping list for one week totally about $15.
Mini apples 60 cents

Bread (two rounds) 41 cents
Tomatoes (a dozen romas) 16 cents
Raspberries (1 pound) $2.90
Mushrooms (1 pound) $1.60

Eggplant (2 pounds) 75 cents
Garlic (2 heads) 33 cents
Small cabbage 20 cents

Carrots (1 pound) 20 cents
Potatoes (2 pounds) 55 cents
Colgate toothpaste $1.60
Deodorant $2.90

Bath loufa 60 cents

6. Make friends. No one would sell me less than a bucket of raspberries which would have cost me around $14. So I sat back and looked for Kazakhs! I found a couple and approached them. They were so delighted that I as an American spoke Kazakh (and no Russian) that they were happy to sell me a half a kilo!

No comments: