Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Back to the future

We were able to attend the graduation at Savva this year, the same day as our arrival. We saw a lot of performances and heard a number of speeches. To my joy, several of graduates from past years came including three of “my boys.”

Girls that graduate will be in Taraz next year and hopefully I will see more of them. They will be at the local polytechnic institute finishing high school and learning a profession. The boys will be going to Chu to another polytechnic institute. My concern, as I’ve said before is that Chu is a well renowned drug city and the boys have little to no guidance or support. Moreover, I found out from them that the teachers instruct mostly in Kazakh whereas they mostly all speak Russian. There are few to little healthy recreational activities and the temptations to drink and smoke are great.

No comments: