Saturday, June 7, 2008

My little orange secret


I’ve found the hole in my wallet. I mean, I finally realized this week where that extra 700 tenge ($5) a week is going…salads! Yes, salads. They are orange and green and red and vinegary and oily and spicy and good all over! My mouth is watering now to think of a lovely Korean salad. “Korean?!” you might ask. Well, yes, there are quite a lot of Koreans in Kazakhstan, and oh they make the yummiest salads! Carrot salad, rice noodle salad, green bean salad, mushroom salad, beet salad, cabbage salad…except no fish! I sincerely love fish, but in a land locked country fish are a no no in my book (unless they come in a can)! Last week I bought salad with what I though were small peppers in it, nope, fish. *sigh* My Kazakh is well and fine, but all the Korean ladies selling salad speak Russian. I tried to ask if it were fish, but apparently a wiggly, swimming hand is NOT the universal sign for fish!

No comments: