Tuesday, June 3, 2008

My utterly dire humiliation…on Kazakh TV

My Mom is sighing now over my ultra dramatic title. Mom, I can still hear you in Kazakhstan! Well the story I’m about to tell wasn’t dire and I wasn’t really humiliated, but, well here’s the story…

My tiny little apartment of a Kazakh school recently had a local TV crew visit. My teacher requested I attend and my boss thought it would be good for Interlink’s reputation. The only problem was the complete and overwhelming anxiety I felt at the whole idea of it! The fright came in forms I have never known before, beet red face, sweat gushing, pounding head, dry mouth and loss of consciousness! Now if any of you know me, you’ll know I’ll jump up front almost any time…give me a mike and an audience and I’m gold. Therefore, my throat clenching anxiety was inexplicable to me, but I figured like any good performer, I would act as if I was okay when the time came. Yea right! When the time came I balked! Completely lost it! When the camera came, I got passed my name and…died. Died a miserable little death in head exploding red heat, stuttering collapse of the mental system, and a complete loss of all self-confidence. Yes, an utterly dire humiliation!

Oh I have to laugh at myself! In all this knee quaking drama, there are redeeming bits. First, I could be edited out completely! Save that, I’m not sure when it will air, so maybe no one I know will see it! Third I now know the name of my Kazakh school, which I honestly didn't know before! Fourth, we did get to sing a wonderful group song in Kazakh (which of course everyone knew but me) which went something like this for a resounding 10 minutes “Zaa….Deeeyeaa……blah blah blah [smile benignly at camera]….Laaaaa.”

No comments: