Saturday, June 28, 2008

More than a little broken and still worth loving

During my days at Savva I sat down with each of the students I new best and gave them a little one on one “interrogation” as we joked. Some had a lot to say about the past and future and some not at all. However, all of them chose to sit with Diore (my translator) and I, long after the questions were done. It became crystal clear how full their hearts became the more someone took an interest in the good and the bad within them and cared how they were.

In one such conversation, a difficult thing happened. A caretaker came over and began to “shame” a young man who was sitting with us. He happened to be a hard young man who was and had trouble upon trouble. Diore and I had been trying to slowly peel away the layers around his heart…until his caretaker came over with accusations (probably true) and compared him to better behaved students, leaving him emotionally stripped and exposed before everyone. He handled this once, but the second time she yelled at him (with us right there) he ran. By the time I caught him he was sobbing to break your heart in his room. With an audience of 10 other boys, I saw this one break like I’d never seen before. I had the privilege of holding this dear boy and speaking love and truth into his life, allowing him space to be broken, hurting, and weak and encouraging him to let go of his anger. The next day the freedom on his face and the light in his eyes was beautiful to see although it was difficult as he had to deal with my departure that same day. Before I went I sat down and spoke with him once more. Although I hated to go I believe that leaving after this emotional incident will impress those vital, deep conversations even more upon his heart. He will be at Chu next year so I am thankful to know I will see him again and be able to impact his life.

No comments: