Sunday, June 29, 2008

Receiving from their poverty

One of the most challenging and humbling things here in Kazakhstan is receiving gifts. After the teacher training, the teachers gathered together their resources and purchased Sara, Diore (our translator) and myself beautiful, traditional tea sets. We came to serve them and offer ourselves and in return they blessed us!

Even more touching were two of my boys who surprised me on my last day with gifts of their own and the most amazing letters. Here’s a little glimpse (it doesn’t rhyme because it’s a translation from Russian!):


“I am writing to you, Ember
Because I love you as a sister…
You like to have fun with others
To cheer up those who are sad
Sister, I respect you
I will never forget you
I will keep in touch with you…”


And they gave to me, having nothing. I’m honestly not even sure where they got the money from or how long it took them to save up. All I could do was accept them and try to do so without crying! There’s something so beautiful and simply breathtaking about the generosity of one who has nothing and it can bring you to your
knees like nothing else.

No comments: